Monday, May 21, 2007

 

Peel Sessions 53

Does one need a reason to post PJ Harvey? No I would tend to say as not only does the lady produce some fine music but by way of a bonus she is also pleasant on the eyes, I don't know about you but I'd much rather see an image of PJ than for example ZZ Top, no offence boys! Having said that I need no reason, there was obviously some thing that got me thinking her about her which was that for some unknown reason I've found myself listening to a lot of music that has its roots in England's west country. So it looks as if the week will be theme based, if you like a bit like Sound Of The Suburbs goes west.
To both fans of good music and avid followers of Peel alike Ms Harvey needs no introduction and it should come as no surprise that the two of them got on well together, and as such she was another of Peel's favorite artists. Late last year there was a 12 track compilation of tracks from her sessions, with the selection apparently having been made by Polly Jean herself, the release came in for a lot of criticism as the current tendency is to let the complete sessions come out of the vaults and such an important artist should be served by only by a snapshot. What I do agree with is the inclusion of the four songs, 'Oh My Lover', 'Victory', 'Sheela Na Gig' and 'Water' that made up the first revelationary session from October 1991. I have left out 'Sheela Na Gig' for two good reasons 1) I posted the song way back at the beginning of the blog and 2) Not everything's for free so if you like it, it's available, fork out and but it!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?